home for the holidays

Offer valid only for appointments scheduled December 1st through December 20th

"*" indicates required fields

MM slash DD slash YYYY
Is your pet a:*

What is your pet's sex, are they spayed or neutered?
Is your pet experiencing any coughing/vomiting/diarrhea?*
Is your pet drinking or urinating more or less than usual?*

About Health Certificates

Flying with Fido!

To ensure your pet’s health and safety, pet travel requires planning and preparation. GreenTree Veterinary Service has experience assisting our clients with both domestic and international pet travel, and our certified USDA accredited veterinarian is qualified to issue pet health certificates.

Domestic Travel

  • Before finalizing your plans, be sure sure to check the USDA APHIS Site as there may be specific animal health requirements for your destination. An in-person physical exam will be required to complete all health certificates.

Travel with your pet can be enjoyable for everyone involved. There are many factors to consider while preparing to travel to help ensure the health, safety, and eligibility of your pet to travel by plane. Minimally, a current health certificate and history of vaccinations are recommended. Specific air travel requirements vary by airline and can change at any time. We urge you to contact your airline carrier for complete regulations prior to booking. Key considerations include:

1. Health documents

Pet health certificate, vaccinations such as rabies, or other health requirements

2. Size of pet

Determines if your pet can accompany you in the cabin or must travel in the cargo area

3. Type of carrier

Restrictions on size, materials, labeling and bedding

4. Temperature

Airlines may restrict transport of pets placed in their cargo hold based on the anticipated arrival and departure temperature

5. Fees

Additional handling fees may be required for your pet

6. Security screening/check in

Details regarding extra time or requirements for checking in your pet

International Travel

  • If you are looking to take your pet abroad, we invite you to first book a brief 30-minute telemedicine appointment. During this appointment, Dr. Susan will thoroughly explain the requirements for the area you are traveling to, provide an estimate, and outline what appointments may be required to accommodate the certificate's needs. The cost of the appointment is $50, and the amount may be applied towards the health certificate if you proceed forward with Dr. Susan.
  • International Health Certificate includes travel to home, exam by doctor, call to USDA office to verify needs of certificate (these are ever-changing with current COVID guidelines), doctor review of paperwork / vaccines / medical history and health certificate.

Note, all health certificates will require an in-person physical exam by law. A telemedicine appointment is available to make sure that we can fulfill the requirements of the health certificate in time for departure, as certain destinations require several months of preparation, including the EU, Hawaii, and Australia.

Traveling internationally with your pet requires increased planning and preparation compared to domestic travel. We are certified by the USDA to issue pet health certificates and can help to ensure your pet has the necessary vaccinations and blood testing as required. We strongly encourage you to research the health and transportation requirements, such as:

1. Airline Carrier

Requirements for health documentation, pet crate specifications, and eligibility

2. USDA animal exporting requirements

3. The consulate of your destination county

4. USDA animal importing requirements

Please note International Health Certificate exam appointments can take up to 40 – 60 minutes, this is to ensure your paperwork is thoroughly completed.

After scheduling an appointment for a Domestic or International Health Certificate at GreenTree Veterinary Service, we recommend following the steps below to ensure smooth and safe travel for you and your pet.

1. Call the airline

Airlines may have specific paperwork or requirements needed for travel.

2. Call the USDA veterinarian

The USDA veterinarian for your state or area is a great source for information regarding importation of pets into another country. They will be able to help you with your questions and the steps you need to take to bring your pet into another country. You may visit their website at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/regulations/vs/iregs/animals/

3. Call the Consulate, Government Official or Embassy of the destination country

There are some countries that require special permits or paperwork to import your pet into their country. You will want to follow all the country’s guidelines to ensure your pet passes through customs – failure to do so can result in your pet being quarantined or turned away from entry.

4. Check your microchip registration

Make sure your pet’s microchip registration is up-to-date and is international travel friendly. Microchips placed several years ago may not be compatible with the international ISO standards. Call your microchip’s registrar to ensure all contact information is current and that your microchip number is international travel compatible.

5. Schedule all necessary appointments

Countries may require your paperwork be inspected and signed by the USDA veterinarian of your state or area. They may also require signatures of consulates or other government officials. Be sure to have all appointments scheduled prior to travel. Some USDA offices allow you to FedEx paperwork overnight to be inspected and signed, make sure you leave adequate time for return of this paperwork to you prior to travel.

6. Bring all your pet’s travel paperwork and documents

It is required that the client bring all appropriate paperwork and documents to their International Health Certificate examination appointment.